"I do not run to add days to my life. I run to add LIFE to my days."

Thursday, March 12, 2009

SOC 441: Statement of Vocation

So i wanted to share an assignment i had this semester for one of my classes that i found to be very helpful to do. The title is statement of vocation and that is what i attempted to do, as much as i can, at this early point in my life. Tell me whatcha think;)

I am pursuing a joint calling to create a family with a partner, friend and husband and to serve the community, following Jesus’ greatest commandment to love others, care for the poor, sick, widows and children. This is not the same thing as a career path because I have realized moving up the ladder in a job is not precisely what I desire. Due to much reflection on my interests and complementary skills, the human services are where I see my contribution being the most useful and fulfilling. My particular skill in empathetic listening is what has led me to make a Masters in counseling a future vocational goal. Since it includes more education as a requirement however for now I simply want to get my hands dirty in the “real world”.

I began at Messiah College as a freshman nursing major, very unsure of what I should study. The early years were filled with battling depression in order to continue fooling others and myself as well as trying to find my true self; her wants, desires, passions within a restricted academic program (nursing), allowing little room for growth. However as my dichotomous time at college continued, the best two choices I made were studying abroad and changing my major to Religion. What I’ve learned mostly came from my relationships and recognizing the legitimate need I as an individual have for deep and meaningful connection with people.

If I had the choice, I definitely would have delayed college. This would have given me more time to find my interests, callings and motivations without the overwhelming pressure of paper deadlines, projects and making an entirely new social network. I now feel strongly that not every young person should necessarily be pushed to a four year college if they are not ready.


oh life! (Annalee that is a shout out to you)

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha :) oh yay!!!! hehe. but seriously... that was a very appropriate place for our catch phrase. im so glad to see where are now kobes... even though it took a lot to get you there. i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardly anyone knows what they want to do at 18 honey, don't beat yourself up over going to college. I'm still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up :-)

    That said, I think putting off grad school is a wise idea. You should work, save up money for school and use the time to think about what's best. You can always persue your human connection in volunteer work in the mean time. I was glad I finished my bach degree later, school was so much easier at an older age.

    oh and you should move out here ;-) the cost of living is much more affordable for a young adult starting out. we can work out a barter system : dinners for babysitting :-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. hol-i like that barter system idea!!

    ReplyDelete