"I do not run to add days to my life. I run to add LIFE to my days."

Sunday, February 3, 2008

eat, pray, love

Elizabeth Gilbert is an amazing writer! I loved her book (Eat, Pray, Love) and felt so connected to her emotional upheavels- Amazing considering- I am 21 years old, never married, nor divorced, nor a journalist for a magazine, but i still could take so much meaning from this book and her life as she "found herself" in the various countries-Italy, India and Indonesia. Here are a few quotes I wrote down as I read...

"I asked my heart if it could please infuse my soul with a more generous perspective on my mind's workings."

After attempting meditation in India at an Ashram she lived in for four months...
"What i'm alarmed to find in meditiation is that my mind is actually not that interesting a place after all. In actuality I really only think about a few things, and I think about them constantly."

A few more...
"When I get lonely these days, i think so be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around lonliness, make a map of it, Sit with it, for once in your life welcome the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings."

"And when you feel/sense a faint potentiality for happiness after such dark times you must grab onto the ankles of that happiness and not let go until it drags you face first out of the dirt-This is not selfishness, but obligation. You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight."

"And I will leave with the hope that the expansion of one person-the magnification of one life-is indeed an act of worth in this world. Even if that life, just this one time, happens to be nobody's but my own."

my own poetry dabbling, clearly influenced by this lady:)
More Than Just Girl Power
I won't back down
I am Strong
I do have discipline within me
Allow myself to love myself
I greet the divine in me

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! Keep on writing! !You're on my blogroll now! Use lots of exclamation points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks! See you in class tomorrow, or today;) I look forward to talking with you tomorrow!!! you'll have to show me about the blogroll?

    ReplyDelete