"I do not run to add days to my life. I run to add LIFE to my days."

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Beware: Word Vomit

Let me try to recall all the different thoughts I had on my ride home today. First, I wonder to myself if I am just biding my time, with getting an education, before I become a mother and wife and that becomes my job and priority? I want to talk to my Anthropology Professor (female) about this more and others, thoughts? I know I have learned so much and the importance of learning outside of education and so this statement seems utterly backwards and just unbelievable it is coming from ME, but sadly it is none-the-less. I also think if I do not start to really truly believe in myself and my capability to give, contribute, work, function, enhance those around me then I will never make an interesting life that I idealize for myself i.e. live in a cool place, teach at a college, or counsel at my own practice, ride my bike everywhere, read, write, publish, travel and never get unhealthy, oh and duh, raise my very own family. I honestly have thought to myself of the scenario or possibility that I really truly do NOT have what it takes to be a Professor or Counselor or Writer and so this is all just a waste of time and shouldn’t I have figured this out long ago? I have been reading so much of theology and philosophy as of late for my classes and am full of all kinds of theories, oh what to believe? I scare myself at how easily I come to not quite believe but see the light and truth in some of Freud’s work about religion and God. Frightening, how easy it is for me to believe that we (as a human race) just made it all up, conjured it up in our heads, wish for it to be this way and then actualize it. I've thought this plenty of times before but never verbalized or wrote it out but reading someone else express it that same way--is kind of what happened when i read Freud today. Of course I see order to the universe and so forth and think there must be a reason and something behind it all, but I will never have the slightest idea; all I have are generations of what others have found to be true. People are capable of quite a lot and that includes their imaginations and creativity. So couldn’t that include our ability to create a God for ourselves? yikes!
I long to be a student that the professor seeks out to answer a question in class, knowing or at least in high hopes and confidence that I will have the correct answer OR a new perspective or viewpoint to add to the mix. Will I never be that student? Why do I want that so badly? I try and be the invisible one a lot of times and find it hard to interact with fellow students too on just talking about the actual subject matter of the class. I wish again, I could do better at that too! As I took the exit off route 83 to my home in Harrisburg I thought to myself how I am growing up and on my own more but really I chose this by default of where I am at school and that If I had the choice I would have no idea where I’d go, but still I just feel ill-placed here or something.? It Doesn’t make sense.

I thought of seeing my counselor today. I definitely want to talk about my INDECISIVENESS in therapy now; I just want to get better at dealing with it and being ok with decisions I make and not dwelling and making them super dramatic and blowing out of proportion. Speaking of dramatic too, I realize that I really don’t let myself be heard fully with people. Even when I desire to tell more there is something in me that holds me back. I think a lot of times it’s embarrassment and thinking that what I’m about to share is not significant or important enough, that it is just a silly, petty problem that Kori can figure out on her own.

5 comments:

  1. Professor or Counselor or Writer

    These thoughts and questions are exactly why you have the potential to be any one of those, and why you'll be one of those that students/people will go to. Even though it may make you feel vulnerable or weak faithed, its the opposite, it only strengthens who you are and what you believe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kori, i love you. I think it's awesome that you are being honest about these questions and desires in your heart. I can't pretend to give you any awesome advice because I feel like I'm in the same place: always wanting to be used in such awesome ways, but never sure that I have what it takes. But God has been encouraging me lately, reminding me that we are works in progress. The work He is doing in you now with these questions is hard because (at least for me) it feels like you have no direction although you desperately want it, but this is when He calls us to have faith. He's challenging you and working in you. He will bring this work to completion and you will be that much more grounded in Him as a result.

    love love love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. always tell me everything!! :)
    don't worry, you can do whatever you want with your life - you just gotta make it happen and that is what you are doing. see what you want and go get it. you will hone your skills and learn so much this year. it will make you into a great wife...i mean professor, counselor, and writer!! :)

    LIZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you guys;) I will take all you have said to my heart and mind and let it sit with me the rest of this seemingly, "lonely walk"

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you never doubt and are never led to question... do you ever get a fresh perspective?

    The thousands of "forward" thinkers in history were the ones who thought outside of the box and questioned, doubted, wondered.

    I think that God desires us to doubt and question His existence. It is in that doubt that we seek, and He promised that if we sought Him out, we'd find Him. If we did not question God's existence and therefore make a conscious decision to believe in spite of doubt, we would not be engaging in real love - only in blind faith. What is love if it isn't a choice?

    ReplyDelete