"I do not run to add days to my life. I run to add LIFE to my days."

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Truth

I wrote a poem, after getting home from a bike ride today...I call it Truth because that is a word hard for me to define, but now I'm a little closer to it, I think:)

Truth
I saw truth and beauty in a sunset today.
I stopped riding my bike so I could practice mindfulness.
I simply wanted to stop and sit in the straw grass near to the edge of the lake and stones.
So I did.
I parked my bike to the fence and sat down among the straw that almost hid me, it was so tall.
I stared straight ahead at the small pinkish area of the sky. This was only the beginning of the revelation to come.
I kept my attention focused on that area and gradually but without visible movement that I could identify, the color spread upwards and outwards.
It was still a solid color, contrasting very much to the very solid blue skyline.
Then it came.
The holes, cracks, openings in the pink color emerged and rapidly grew outwards and spread quite rapidly.
The thought came to me, was planted in my mind, that these holes, cracks, openings in the pink color of the sunset were the flaws in me.
My weaknesses, my secrets, my vulnerability, my self-consciousness, my ugliness, my flaws
They were spreading to fill the entire sky I could see.
As it spread, I began to appreciate the look, the view I was experiencing was nice.
It was different than the solid pink.
It gave texture. It reminded me of a ripple in water when it is disturbed by something, like a stone or log.
The stone is sin. The stone could be sin.
Or the stone is the environment. The stone could be the environment that formed me to be who I am.
The rapidity to which the holes, cracks, openings spread made me think it was moved by some force.
A life force, I call a spirit, the soul, the Holy Spirit.
I’ve been taught and have accepted-
that God’s Holy Spirit dwells somewhere within every person in the world.
Therefore I thought to myself, watching the truth of the sunset dance before me…
God’s spirit, God’s self moves through us, through our holes, cracks, openings
And it was beautiful.
It was truth.
I couldn’t deny what was in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment